|Barney & Friends Episode|
|Season 1, Episode 19|
|Air date||April 30, 1992|
|Written by||Mark S. Bernthal|
|Directed by||Jim Rowley|
|Theme||The Five Senses|
When I Grow Up...
Practice Makes Music
Luci introduces her new friend Patty (who is blind) to Barney, Michael, Tina, and Kathy. Patty comments that a beautiful day can be experienced through more of one's senses than just sight. Michael's class is studying the five senses, which leads to fun songs and activities related to each of them. Perhaps most important, Patty shows the group that a child with blindness can do many things for him/herself and play right along with the others. Patty teaches the kids a rhyme and its corresponding hand movements...and she reads a story to Kathy, using braille.
Stories: "Kitty Caught a Caterpillar" by Jack Prelutsky
- Barney Theme Song
- Miss Mary Mack
- The Five Senses Song
- I Can Laugh
- Do Your Ears Hang Low?
- The Finger Band
- Boom, Boom, Ain't It Great to Be Crazy?
- The Bear Hunt
- I Love You
- The "blindfold taste-test" would later be used in Barney's Sense-Sational Day and "Five Kinds of Fun!".
- This episode reveals that Kathy can't read, until "I Can Do That!".
- "Kitty Caught a Caterpillar" was taken from a poem compilation book called "Ride a Purple Pelican".
- Before Barney starts his Barney Says segment, the ending of the "Five Senses Song" is sung.
- The Orange Fanta soda is used for this episode as a fictional drink, Five Senses Fizzy Fruit Juice.