Carey Scott Stinson (born March 21, 1968) is an American actor and current photographer. Stinson was the third person to portray in the costume of Barney after David Voss and David Joyner and continued to do be in the suit from for twenty-two years from 1991 up until 2013 and 2019.
Life and Career
Stinson graduated from J.J. Pearce High School in 1986. He currently resides in Dallas, Texas.
Stinson worked at Chili's at the age of twenty-three and soon heard that a second person to be in a Barney costume was needed. Stinson began performing as Barney for birthday parties in before the television show debuted back in 1991. Soon after, he did local appearances at malls in 1992. Afterwards, he became one of the official actors to play Barney when the character made live appearances, both large stage shows (beginning with Barney Live at Radio City!) or to portray the character in photographed books. Starting from 2001, Stinson has played Barney regularly, replacing actor David Joyner (who would also play the character in tandem with Stinson until 2005). Stinson continued be portray as the purple dinosaur until the show's hiatus and made his last performance as Barney on June 8, 2013 at CPTV's 50th anniversary special, the year of Barney's 25th Anniversary. Stinson reprised his role as Barney at Jerry Franklin's Retirement Gala on May 1, 2019, with Dean Wendt returning as the voice.
In March 2019, Carey created and co-hosted Purple Tales Podcast, a podcast about the behind the scenes work and people involved with Barney & Friends. On December 6th of the same year, Stinson premiered "Purple Roads," a successor to "Purple Tales" focused on children's entertainment in general rather than just the Barney franchise.
As Barney the Dinosaur
- In addition to performing as Barney, Stinson made cameo appearances in the episode, "Play Piano with Me!" and in the video, The Land of Make-Believe (video). In the latter, he played Mr. Barnes, a playful nod to his role as Barney.
- Carey "Barney" Stinson welcomes Jeff “Baby Bop” Ayers - Purple Tales Podcast Episode 1
- Barney and Gang: a Look at the Past 30-Plus Years of the Friendly Purple Dinosaur
- Why Young Children Scream
- “Barney” Stinson takes his turn in the guest chair - Purple Tales Episode 11
- Purple Roads Episode Seven | Phyllis Cicero