Mr. Boyd is known for being a jack of all trades, meaning he has has a range of skills which enable him to perform a number of different tasks. While he is best known for being the school's janitor and later a park keeper, he has had experiences with various other professions. Alongside Barney, he models healthy interactions between adults. No matter what he does, he always takes on the task with a cheerful and calm demeanor.
Mr. Boyd has a niece named "Colleen", as well as a brother, and a dog named "Bingo", which is not to be confused with the song, "BINGO". When he returns in the new content of The Best of Barney, he turns out to have become a photographer.
Mr. Boyd's many jobs are all listed here:
- Janitor (Seasons 3-6)
- Park Keeper (Seasons 7-8)
- Musician (Classical Cleanup, Barney's Band, Come Blow Your Horn!, and Play Piano with Me!)
- Beekeeper (Sweet as Honey)
- Beach Store Owner (Barney's Beach Party)
- Peterpan (Storytime with Barney)
- Photographer (The Best of Barney)
- Classical Cleanup (first appearance)
- First Day of School
- Barney's Halloween Party
- Barney's Band
- Colors All Around
- Sweet as Honey
- How Does Your Garden Grow?
- Barney's Beach Party
- Puppy Love
- Come Blow Your Horn!
- A New Friend
- A Parade of Bikes
- Storytime with Barney
- A Fountain of Fun
- Play Piano with Me!
- It's Your Birthday, Barney! (cameo)
- At Home in the Park
- The Best of Barney (last appearance)
- Mr. Boyd never appeared with Linda and Alissa.
- Mr. Boyd's first name, Grady, was revealed when his niece, Colleen, called him "Uncle Grady" in "A New Friend".
- Mr. Boyd is able to play the piano in "Classical Cleanup" and "Play Piano with Me!", the sousaphone, and the French horn rather well. In "Barney's Band", it is shown that he can play the trombone, saxophone, clarinet, drums, and flute with some proficiency.
- When Mr. Boyd was mentioned in this episode, "Sharing Is Caring!", it reveals that he is starting his very own toy drive.
- Starting in "Litterbot", it can be assumed that Mr. Copeland took over Mr. Boyd's job as a park keeper.